Thursday, September 13, 2007

Update part deux!

Robert's Snow

It's that time of year again and here is my humble snowflake this year. This side has a three-dimensional Christmas tree with little yellow stars, and red and blue ornaments. The background is watercolor. I've attached little floating snowflake satelites around to give the appearance of a snow flurry. It's a traditional type tree that you might find inside your own home.

The back side is a similar tree but decorated with colorful birds as you might imagine if it were outside.

The auction will be especially poignant this year because of Robert Mercer's passing. If you don't know the story, check it out at Robert's Snow. The auction will take place in November and December, and be displayed at the Child at Heart Gallery, in Newburyport, MA. An opening will be held there on October 6, 2007, 2-7 pm, with many of the local snowflake artists in attendance, myself included. Hope to see you there.

Fundraiser
In other news, I've been asked to be on the board of directors for a new fundraising project initiated by Tomie dePaola, in honor of his friend Trina Schart Hyman (and my favorite children's book artist of all time.) It's all still in the planning stages but you will hear more about it shortly. If you want to know more about Trina head over to my other website, Women Children's Book Illustrators.

I also attended Tomie's yard sale this summer. What a hoot! I bought a Mexican folk art angel and a colorful paper flower wreath with ribbon streamers. Tomie told me I should wear it. I'll be hanging both in my new studio soon. Who knows. Maybe I'll channel Tomie if I wear it while I work. I also bought some colorful napkins that I hope to make lots of pillows with.

My new over-the-garage studio is almost done and I hope to post pictures soon.

Gallery
I've had my original art in Artistic Roots Gallery since last March. AR, a cooperative gallery, is locted in Campton, NH right off Interstate 93, exit 28. They are open every day, except Christmas and Thanksgiving 10-6. I have cards and signed books for sale there too. This is one of the framed pieces I there.
Open House at the Gallery will be held October 5, 2007 from 5–8 pm. As one of the newer artists there, my art will featured along with the other new artists' work.

No comments: