Sunday, July 06, 2008

Thinking of you, Pépère!

My post yesterday about the Belknap Mill started me thinking of my grandfather or, as we of Franco-American heritage call our grandfathers, Pépère. His name was Alcide Cormier and he went on to start his own hosiery mill, Cormier Hosiery Mill in Laconia, NH.

This photo was taken in 1914 when he was about 17 years old. He's standing in front of a row of knitting machines but this was typically girl's work (yes, they were very sexist in those days.) He was probably a turner boy, which were young boys that turned the socks inside or right side out, depending on what was needed. At 17, Pépère's job would not have been one of great skill or importance, but knowing him, he was taking it all in. The row of ladies near the window were probably mending or finishing the socks.

I'm not exactly sure which mill this was taken in, maybe the Busiel mill, or one of the many other mills that lined the river, but I'm pretty sure it was not the Belknap Mill.

I am currently researching my grandfather and his mills, so if you knew him or ever worked for him, I would love to hear from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Denise, Looking for Cormier Hosiery and to my surprise was led to your site. Kathryn, your cousin
dewey2911@aol.com

Denise said...

Hi Kathryn, nice to hear from you. It's starting to get cold here in New England. Makes me wish I lived closer to you.