Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Two Challenges

The Pirate Code of Writing
The first challenge has been put forth by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's simple, merely write for 15 minutes a day for the month of July (or WFMAD). The whole idea is that it takes about 21 days before something becomes a habit. So our goal is to create a new, good writing habit. See more at her blog, Mad Woman in the Forest. I am happy to say that I've met my goal for today. I typically don't have a good track record for these kind of things but I keep trying.

Second Challenge
Cindy Lord has a challenge on her blog to show a picture of your city every day for a week. I know I'm two days late but I've included extra to make up for it. Here's a list of other bloggers joining in the fun. Enjoy!

Day1, Day 2 & Day 3
Here's three days rolled into one. I live in the beautiful Lakes Region of New Hampshire. If you're wondering why it's called the Lakes Region, take a look at the aerial photo on the City of Laconia's website. The land is like stepping stones across an expanse of water. It was taken by Bill Hemmel of Lakes Region Aerial Photo.

Last weekend, which happened to be motorcycle weekend, my hubby and son and I when for a ride in the amphicar. If you don't know what that is, check out my son's website about it--basically it's a car that goes in the water. I know, how cool is that!

So let's go on a tour of Paugus Bay and up through the Weirs channel. The first photo is a shot of the Naswa Resort and their cabins. They are typical of the many resorts that line the Weirs Boulevard. The other side of the lake has beautiful large homes and condos.
Here's a photo of the Marine Patrol. They turned around when they saw us and followed for a bit. Sometimes they come to have a look at the car because . . . well . . . it's interesting!
Here's a picture of the helicopter that kept buzzing us. It was giving tourists a ride over the lake, but intimidating none the less to see it swoop overhead.
Here we are as we near the channel. Look how nicely that sky matches our car! (And Cindy, do you see that rubber ducky? He comes everywhere with us.)
Here we are just about to go under the Weirs bridge. You could probably walk across the channel on the boats. Hubby tells me it's wasn't busy that day. Usually they line up and have to wait to go under.

This is what you see as you come out from under the bridge onto Lake Winnipesaukee. The monument is the oldest monument in New Hampshire. In 1652, a survey party carved their initials into a rock and that of John Endicott, Governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony, to mark the headwaters of the Merrimac River. The Massachusetts border was supposed to be three miles north of this point. (Thank God that didn't stick! Though by looking at the license plates . . . I wonder.)

Right around the corner is Weirs Beach and docking for the Mount Washington. It gives lovely tour rides of the lake, if that interests you.

Here is the famous Irwin's Pier at the Weirs. When I was younger there was mini golf and arcades. When my parents were in their day, they swung to the sounds of the big bands!

As we were heading home we saw the train that was bringing people up to the Weirs.
Well, all good things must come to an end. And so does this tour. Come back the next few days for some of my favorite historic buildings downtown.

No comments: